I spent my 2L summer back in our nation's capital, Washington, D.C. I conveniently lived very close to the Capitol itself, which was a great spot to start and finish a run around the National Mall. It was nice to be back in the city, and much more enjoyable to be living directly in the city, without having to worry about traffic or a long commute everyday, and having the ability to see great views of D.C.'s iconic buildings every day.
I stayed in a dorm/apartment at Georgetown Law, which was conveniently located just a few blocks from my work. It was a nice, short five to ten minute walk in every morning, and I was able to enjoy the nice, although small, campus that Georgetown Law provides. My building is the one on the right in this shot, and I also was able to use the fantastic sport and recreation facilities that Georgetown provides, in the large glass building behind the clock.
I was working at the SEC this summer, where I was back when I applied to law school and ended up at IU. This time, I was making a return as a summer intern. It was great being back and working with everyone again, and I learned a lot. It would definitely be a great place to end up after law school, but we will have to wait and see how the cards fall.
After a brief 4th of July celebration in the nation's capital, it was off to New York to see the Yankees play at Yankee Stadium. It was a brutally hot day, falling during the only hot week of the summer, but the Yankees managed to defeat the Orioles, closed off by the number one closer in the game, Mariano Rivera. Afterwards, we enjoyed some of the fun New York spots, including a bar on a boat.
Back to D.C. and a late-night stroll to some of the monuments. I think late at night is the best time to experience D.C.'s monuments, because the tourists are sleeping, so everything is much quieter and more serene. I have a newfound respect for the WWII Memorial after visiting at night, and my favorite, the Lincoln Memorial, is even more hallowed after the sun sets.
One of the secret spots in D.C., I would have to say, is the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. I always enjoy heading to the fountain to sit and read a new book. This summer I read the Great Gatsby, after seeing the movie in the beginning of the summer. The book was great, and the Sculpture Garden served as a relaxing spot to enjoy it, particularly sitting by the water on a warm sunny day.
Another added bonus of the Sculpture Garden is that you can occasionally find your own rainbows late in the evening when the sun is setting at the right angle. On my final venture into the city this summer, I finished off my kickball season on the National Mall, a D.C. staple. The game was fantastic and we ended with a resounding victory. I think it is a perfect way to close out my summer experience, and has me ready to get back to Bloomington for the fall kickball season. Our last game ended in perfect time to catch the sun setting on the west side of the Mall.
No comments:
Post a Comment