Saturday, June 1, 2013

Epilogue—Day 366: June 1, 2013

The Last One.
We have finally made it. On the first day of the new year after the last day of the Connecting the Dots 365 Project, we visit the National Mall viewing one of my favorite spots in D.C., the Lincoln Memorial, from the reflecting pool, where I have literally connected the dots (they are supposed to be lined up into a checkmark to signal the completion of the project, but it may be hard to see).

After finishing this long project, I have a couple notes and thoughts about what I have learned from the project and some of the things I encountered while pursuing it. First of all, it is surprisingly challenging to come up with one photo for every day. Of course it is difficult to remember to find a photo when the days get very busy, but surprisingly the most challenging aspect of the project was finding photos on the days that were unusually boring, or where I did not really do anything special or have anything to do (which came up quite often during the semester thanks to the dreadfulness of 2L year). I will admit to have taken some shortcuts and some liberties in finishing the project, as certainly not every photo was taken on the day it was supposed to represent. While generally most photos were, I often took photos in advance and posted them for a day a couple days later. I never took them too far in advance, but this generally happened when for example I knew what I was planning to do one day and wanted to take a photo to represent it early, when I had more time or could set up a better looking shot. I also utilized this tactic when I did not have a chance to take a photo on the day of an event I wanted to represent, so I doubled back the following day to use the photo, or when I wanted to post some generic photos (i.e., seasonal photos) that I took mostly on one photo shoot but used selections of for two or maybe three days. I also had the rare but occasional throwback photo, or borrowed an external photo that I did not take. These tactics helped me maintain a good finished product, and I think were generally in line with the concept, as I did manage to complete one photo for each day of the year.

Another big thing I was able to take from this product is that I guess I kind of learned how to blog. With something to focus on (the one photo a day), it was a good motivation to come up with something to write about and present a finished product. While I have no idea where I will take this blog from here, I imagine I have some experience now to work with. I think after taking a decent break from updating CTD, I will likely just continue to use it to discuss fun events and post some photos, outside of the general use of Facebook, etc. I do not think it will have any kind of unifying theme, but just as more of a free-write or photo sharing platform. We will have to see though. Not only did I learn how to blog, I also improved my photography skills a bit, whether it be by utilizing different features on the camera or by trying out different styles of shots and trying to be fun and artistic. Not a professional by any means, but maybe I can use the phrase "skilled amateur?" You guys can be the judge. It was also a useful motivation to develop an ability to see potential photos out in the world and know when the appropriate moment is to take out the camera to try to seize that moment in picture form.

Speaking of you guys, I am aware that there may only be two or three of you (if that). But regardless of the number of readers, it was fun keeping this thing going not only just to keep track of it for myself, but also knowing that at least a couple people may be reading it and get to share in the experience. I try to keep in mind that I have potential readers while drafting these writing accompaniments, and hopefully can provide some minimal entertainment value. It has also served as a useful tool for me personally to keep track of several experiences and life events, whether they be more big picture, or even just daily nuances that may be easily forgotten without this daily recordation.

To finalize this epilogue, I will conclude with one of the most important things I have learned (well, really confirmed more than learned), that you truly cannot connect the dots ahead, but it is important to remember that they can be visualized. Although you cannot see where they are going, you can see where they may connect. And occasionally one may jump out that completely throws you off course. But by looking at these past dots in context, you can then see how they actually do connect, and by recalling this fact and appreciating the past connections, you may be able to better visualize how the dots are connecting in the future, or at least how you want them to connect and whether this can be achieved, or whether you will just have to follow the dots where they are going and see where you end up. As you may have learned if you have been a regular follower, one of the reasons my dots even connected to Indiana and made me a Hoosier began with a Mash drink I had while working at the SEC in Washington, D.C. And although I left Washington, D.C. with no strong belief that I would be coming back, events that transpired during the course of this project and that have been chronicled therein have now brought me right back to where I started, back to the SEC in Washington, D.C., but with a much crisper vision moving forward. Thought I would get all deep and philosophical to close out for you all (I was almost a philosophy minor in college). The next question is how long I will be here and whether I will be making a return to the nation's capital after I finish my final year in the Hoosier State. It only ends once. Anything that happens before that, is just progress. We will have to wait and see in the next chapter of Connecting the Dots!

No comments:

Post a Comment