Monday, January 21, 2013

Days 233-235: January 19-21, 2013

Went out to play a much-needed round of basketball at the HPER this weekend. It had been so long since I last played, and it definitely showed. I'm playing as bad as Will Sheehey recently (when you correct for the pre-existing difference in our relative talent levels). Hopefully if we are able to get everybody to come out every weekend I'll have a chance to get my touch back. I am back to my trusted pair of Shox Status shoes after my last attempt at turning to a new pair. If you can tell that these shoes are slightly worn, it is because I have been playing in them since 2004. I have tried to switch to a new pair at least four times since then, but still can't find a pair I like playing in as much as these! (And to answer the obvious question, they no longer sell these shoes and have not been since the year after I bought them.) In early 2008 I ran into another guy at the AFC in Charlottesville who had the same exact shoes (also looked quite worn) and we noticed the fact that we both had the same shoes, because come to find out, we both had them for the same reason. He knew before asking that I had been wearing them for '04, just like him, and he also had tried several times to use a new pair of shoes but always went back. Hint: Nike, your new shoes are awful. MAKE SHOX STATUS AGAIN. I wonder if that kid is still out there playing in 9 year old basketball shoes...? You may think that would be crazy but trust me—unless his shoes have fallen apart and are no longer functional, I can almost guarantee you that he is.

The sunset outside my apartment was pretty cool-looking Sunday evening so I decided to take a shot of it. The colors are crazy, its almost like some red mixed in and blending with purple. Wait...you don't think someone knew who was going to win the AFC/NFC Championship games and play in the Super Bowl do you? (Hint: Ray Lewis does.) I guess maybe the clouds in Bloomington are premonitionary.* A major part of the Harbaugh-Crean family does reside in Bloomington after all...

*Yes, this is a real word. If you don't believe me, see generally Orin S. Kerr, A Theory of Law, 16 Green Bag 2d. 111 (2012), available at http://www.greenbag.org/v16n1/v16n1_ex_post_kerr.pdf.

While celebrating the conclusion of my five-day weekend, I fired up the Vitamix to make a delicious smoothie. This is the most amazing blender ever, which makes fantastic smoothies easily (even I can make things with it!). It is also easy to clean; you just put water and soap in it and fire it up on high speed for 30 seconds. It's been quite a while since I made smoothies in the morning, so after recalibrating my recipe, I think I will start it back up for breakfast now that I have a more regular schedule, where I still don't have to leave super early. Today was a simple strawberry banana smoothie, complemented by my secret nutrient-boosting ingredients (which are not really that secret: Greek yogurt, organic spinach leaves, organic golden flax seeds, and a scoop or two of protein powder).

No comments:

Post a Comment