Saturday, January 12, 2013

Days 223-226: January 9-12, 2013

On Wednesday it was time to leave D.C. to fly back to Indianapolis to start the Spring Semester of school. I had a great time at home over break, and it was definitely too short. I realized it felt a lot shorter because the whole first week I had to spend writing the rest of my seminar paper/journal note. But it was still a fun, relaxing, and much-needed break at home where I had a chance to spend some time with the family, go down to Florida to see some more family, eat plenty of delicious food at my cousins' restaurant, eat plenty of home-cooked meals, see a few movies, and go out to some good restaurants in Virginia and D.C. Here I am waiting to board my plane (not the one in the picture) with a view of the monument and Capitol behind the plane and another plane coming in for a landing.

On the first day of classes I also turned in my journal note which I spent the first week of break finishing. Glad to finally be done with it! It is resting nicely on top of the giant box of other notes. This Thursday was a Monday schedule, with four classes, but this semester should be nicely scheduled since I only have classes on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and it is the exact same schedule each day.

On Friday I collected most of the rest of my books. A few more than last semester, but a slightly lighter load than Fall Semester of 1L year. I'm excited to have (hopefully) a much more structured semester with less practical or writing courses and getting back to some basic exam-style law classes, which I tend to do better in. Once moot court is quickly out of the way, I think this semester should be much more structured than last, with plenty of time to relax and enjoy the spring weather (and IU's NCAA tournament run).

Saturday I finally returned to one of my favorite places, Assembly Hall, to watch IU take on the fellow top-10 ranked Golden Gophers of Minnesota. The game started off fantastic, with IU opening a huge first-half run to go up more than 20 points and the crowd raging loud as always. The second half was very disappointing, however, as the crowd got lazy and was too quiet, and the team quickly followed with a sluggish performance that almost brought Minnesota back in the lead. Fortunately, the Hoosiers hung on before time ran out and ended up closing out an eight point victory to earn a new "signature" win. I include the quotation marks not in disrespect to the opponent, but merely due to the questionable way our team performed to close out what should have been an undisputed signature victory. But, a win is a win, so I'll take it and hope that we can maintain better consistency going forward, because this type of second-half performance will not cut it on the road in the Big Ten. This shot shows Cody Zeller receiving a pass on a wide open run to the basket before finishing off with a crowd-stirring dunk, one of the first half bright spots. Another bright spot of the afternoon was the halftime performance by the Firecrackers, a youth girls jump-roping team, which was one of the most amazing halftime shows I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment