Friday, February 1, 2013

Days 244-245: January 30-31, 2013

It was interesting seeing a Purdue flag flying from Nick's this afternoon. I'm not sure if that's just up there for the Purdue game? I would hope so—I would like to think IU is above being pranked by lowly athletic programs such as Purdue. In any way, we certainly showed it to Purdue as Indiana THROTTLED the Boilermakers on their home court, 97-60. It was the worst home loss in Purdue history—37 points—exceeding the prior record set by none other than your Indiana Hoosiers! It's wonderful when you break your own records, especially when doing so at the hands of Purdue. Also, just for the record, I know I am new to this "rivalry" (if you can even call it that, it seems almost even more one-sided than Virginia Tech-Virginia), but Purdue fans, how can you do that "Boiler Up" thing (not giving it the dignity of calling it a chant, because it sounds like a car muffler) and expect not to be embarrassed? Fortunately, Michigan also followed suit with their own easy victory, setting up this Saturday's epic and intense #1 vs. #3 ESPN College Game Day matchup at Assembly Hall.  Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers! Oh, and Purdue, it's "Banner" Up. Or should I say "Banners," because there are five of them. For your enjoyment, I will show a graphic of each of Purdue's banners below:*











(If you can't see any, feel free to keep refreshing the page until one shows up.)

On Thursday I finally got to see my first snowfall of the year! It was the culmination of one of the most ridiculous two-day stretches in modern weather history. As I previewed Tuesday evening, the Wednesday forecast was already quite interesting. Well, at about 1:00AM Wednesday morning, just as I was getting ready for bed, the tornado sirens started to go off. The band of powerful thunderstorms on the way were apparently capable of producing tornados, and Bloomington happened to fall into the only stretch in all of Indiana that was going to be hit by the part of the storm capable of producing a tornado warning. Fortunately, it was a pretty lackluster storm, so no need to worry about a tornado that night, only a strong downpour of rain. Later in the day, we had another strong rain, followed by a ridiculous drop in temperature from 68 all the way down to the 20s. And around dinnertime, snow showers! The entire day was basically the whole plot of the 2004 movie The Day After Tomorrow crammed into one season of 24. No snow accumulation on Wednesday, however, but on Thursday evening some more snow showers rolled into town. They weren't expected to lead to any accumulation, and I was in the HPER for several hours during the downfall. Well, come to my surprise, I walked out around 7:00 to find the ground covered in snow, and took today's photo on my walk back to the Henderson garage. The roads were surprisingly slick, and traffic was a mess, because the roads were never properly treated for the snow. That was definitely a surprise for Indiana, which is usually pretty spot-on in terms of weather preparation. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for this one though, because to receive an unexpected snowstorm following a 68 degree day filled with thunderstorms and tornados leaves little time to realize some treatment on the roads is necessary. The lack of proper preparation and resulting haphazard driving was almost like being back in Virginia for an entirely anticipated snowstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment